Background

Friday, September 9, 2011

Day 1: Wheat Free...this is gonna be a long day

Hey there!  This blog is going to be a journal, documenting my (and my hubby's) journey to cut out wheat for 30 days.  We just got the book "Wheat Belly" by Dr. William Davis yesterday (Wheat Belly Blog) and we are already intrigued enough to cut out wheat.  This is going to be tough.  You don't understand, we are HARD CORE carb lovers.  When I start thinking of all the things I won't be able to have, I start to feel like I just won't be able to do it but, reading the book helps remind me why I need to do it.  


I realize anyone reading this blog may have no clue what I'm talking about with this book.  It is brand new and I had never heard this stuff either.  My husband asked me what I thought about it when I started reading it.  I had no words.  I literally sounded like Porky Pig, stuttering around, trying to get the words out.  Dr. Davis brings up the thought of why is it people in the 1950s ate wheat and didn't do formal exercise but still stayed thin?  Could you picture June Cleaver putting on her jogging suit and sneakers and telling Wally and the Beav that she was going to run 2 miles?  Of course not!  So, why is it so different now?  We cut out the "bad foods" and sweets and still can't lose weight.  We even work out regularly and still can't lose the weight.  We go by the FDA recommendations of eating "more whole grains" and can't lose the weight.  Well, Dr. Davis suggests the reason for this is how the wheat of today doesn't even resemble the wheat of 50 years ago.  Here in America we think of the iconic "Amber Waves of Grain" when they are more like barely hip high, small stalks called "Semi-Dwarf Wheat."  I became so angry, knowing that our government has funded all of these changes in our foods to where we can't even get normal things like wheat anymore and we didn't even know about it!  I want to know what is going into my body and my family's!  


I also kept hearing Dr Davis say "it's not your fault" about trying to be healthy and still not being able to lose the belly fat.  I thought I was doing the right things but it just wasn't working!  


Anyway, I doubt that my daily posts will end up being this long (I heard that sigh of relief) but felt the need to give a background on this subject.  


Okay, so far I've had breakfast which reminded me of my South Beach phase 1 days--eggs and bacon.  It's soooo hard not grabbing my beloved Ezekiel Bread to go with those eggs.  I am a creature of habit when it comes to breakfast and I rarely have anything else besides eggs, Ezekiel Bread toast, and coffee.  So far, I feel full and I'm going to do things to keep myself busy so I'm not thinking of bread....I'm such an addict!!  





No comments:

Post a Comment